Friday, August 7, 2015

Summer Camp Shenanigans, Part 5: Riding Times Change and Harry Potter Night

Hello lovelies!

In Georgia, you have two options for weather in the summer; you can either have blazing hot with lots of sunshine, or you can have not-so-blazing-hot with rain. And we have not-so-blazing hot with rain today, but that's hardly important.

Welcome to part 5 of Summer Camp Shenanigans! When we last left off, it was the end of a very dramatic Wednesday.

On with the show! Er, blog post! Oh, you get the drift!

So anyways, on Thursday morning, we got up, as usual, and got dressed, as usual, but my patrol leader told us that our group and one of the other patrols were going swimming today and then going to do archery.

Oh, snap.

When we got there, I told her that for reasons I didn't want to divulge, I couldn't swim today. And she let me and two other girls sit out, even though she said she technically wasn't supposed to. So we sat on the edge, and I realized the suckiness of my situation. I was sitting on the edge of the pool, I had left my swimsuit in the unit because I knew I wouldn't be swimming today, and everyone else was having fun while the three of us were just sitting on the edge of the pool.

And, being a bit of a mess that week anyway, I started crying.

The two girls I was sitting with talked to me about it, and eventually, I stopped crying and began to have a little fun, especially when my patrol leader asked us to splash her (the counselors couldn't be in the water with us for some reason, so all she could do was dip her feet in).

We got out of the pool and we went to archery, which was, for some reason, done in a room under the dining hall. They brought targets and everything, and we shot the targets.

The funny thing was, I'm a right-handed person, but I apparently shoot better with my left. I guess it's because my right hand is stronger and steadier, and so keeps the bow in place. I dunno, but I tried both a right-handed and left-handed bow, and I like the left-handed bow better.

After that was lunch. Not the most interesting topic.

Then, for some reason, our riding schedule had been switched to the afternoon, so we went to the barn. I was kind of dreading the unbearable heat that my friends who had done the afternoon ride in previous years had told me about, but it really wasn't that bad.

We were trotting around, as usual, and then, because I've been struggling with it all week, I ask my riding instructor if there was any way she could teach me to post the trot. She said to go with the motion of the horse, and I tried it. And for two seconds, I managed to post the trot.

After riding, I told my patrol leader about it, and she said, "See? Sometimes all you have to do is just believe in yourself."

Well, I definitely did for those moments. I definitely did.

After that, we went back to the cabin to get ready for Harry Potter night. I turned a black T-shirt inside out, put on my black leggings and riding boots, and tied a red bandana around my neck and decided that I was Ron Weasley (because ginger hair). Madeline had made a wand out of a stick but accidentally broke it, so she taped it together and handed it to me.

My friend Fiona helped me rehearse my fear of spiders (because I'm actually not afraid of spiders), and we went to dinner. They had lined up all the dining hall tables in four lines, and I sat at the Ravenclaw table with the rest of my patrol, despite the red bandana.

I suppose I should mention that Madeline was Luna Lovegood's mother, Raina was Luna Lovegood, Fiona was Dobby, and there were a bunch of others. Not to mention we were the only unit that dressed up.

After dinner, we sat outside for a while so the kitchen staff could move the tables, and then they had a dance party in the dining hall. And everyone danced.

It was awesome. There was noise, and dancing, and me and Fiona pretty much threw each other across the dance floor a good twenty times.

And then we walked back to our cabin, and I had to lean on Madeline because I had never been so tired in all my life.

What a night.

Love,
Glitter Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment